15 March 2013

Starting my food forest.

This week I was able to start my food forest.  I bought a concod, white seedless, and red seedless grape vine.  I also bought two blueberry bushes, and three different types of rasberry bushes.

It was hard finding time to plant them but I did it.  The grape vines I planted along my fence.  Each section of fence is 6 feet and I planted each one in the middle of a section.  the bushes I  planted in a row 5 feet from the fence.  For all of the beds I dug a trench 1 foot deep and a foot and a half wide. I then filled the trench with wood.  Some was dry some was green.  Jack from the survival podcast says that the wood wil rot and become sponge like and will trap moisture lowering the need for irrigation.   He also says that for the first year the wod will soak up nitrogen from the soil.  I'm hoping that by adding green vegitation it will not take the nitrogen from the soil or if it does the greens wil replace it as hey rot.  We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment