20 November 2013

Archery Series: Episode 003

Okay class.  Class.  Settle down now.  Okay.  Today we are going to talk about draw length and draw weight. This is what determines the amount of energy your bow can produce.  These two things are different for each person depending on ability and his or her bodily dimensions.  Okay boys stop smiling, you too girls.  Not those dimensions.

Draw weight is the amount of force needed to draw the bow.  If you are thinking about hunting, check your local regulations on the minimum draw weight that can be used for hunting.  Otherwise, draw weight is dependant on your ability.  I would suggest you start with a low poundage and adjust it heavier as you get stronger.  Compound bow draw weights are adjustable and have a range.  Traditional bows (longbows and recurves) are a set draw weight at a set draw length.  I heard a tip and have lowered my draw weight due to it.  Try drawing your bow from a sitting position.  If you cannot draw it back it is too heavy for you.  The reason I like this tip is because you never know what strange positions you will have to shoot from if you are planning on hunting.

Draw length is a little more cut and dry.  Draw length is based on your height.  Take your height or arm-span (Fun fact: they are the same) in inches.  Divide that number by 2.5.  That is your draw length.  For example,  I am 5'8.5"  that is 68.5 inches.  68.5 inches divided by 2.5 equals 27.4.  My draw length is 27.5 inches.  I calculate my draw length to the nearest quarter inch.  Well, that does it for today's class.  I hope you learned something.  Feel free to comment below.





See other gifts available on Zazzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment